Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tired and boring and stuck in a rut?!


Have you ever felt like you're stuck in a rut?  I mean with your diet, do you find that you use the same recipes over and over and over and over again?  I totally get this way all the time.  And the other day I was reading on one of my whole-food-plant-strong blogs (I think it was Dr. Esselstyns blog) and he said that instead of considering your "rut" to be a step backward, look at it as progress.  Look at where you are today verses where you were a year ago. 

For me I know this is totally true.  My rut and my boring recipes that I am using over and over and over again are a far cry healthier then where we were a year ago.  It can be a challenge to eat healthy, but it's so possible and SOOOOO doable!!  Seriously, if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO!!  Tonight I ate a kale salad and actually enjoyed it!  (I'll be sharing that delicious recipe with you tomorrow, so stay tuned!!)  A year ago, seriously, forget about kale.  I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole and tonight I had a second helping of the stuff!  Now that is what I consider progress. 

I may have my boring recipes, but you know what, I am learning.  And this learning process, I hope, is a long road.  I really want this to be a life long journey, something that my kids really can watch and learn from as well.  I love that my kids know what tofu and sushi are.  I love that they can name almost all the vegetables in the produce section, and I love that they love to carve the avocado from the peel.  No, they don't actually eat most of it, but they at least are becoming familiar with it and the day will hopefully come that they will dig in as well. 

Yes, she actually eats broccoli too.  Miracles do happen!
Tonight though, my daughter, who is INCREDIBLY picky, (seriously, I have never EVER seen a child this picky) actually ate tofu nuggets (like chicken nuggets but with tofu, recipe coming soon)!  This is a HUGE victory!  I can't even begin to tell you how excited that made me.  It's been a long road with her...but that's a different story altogether.  This is a long learning road and we are all taking it together. 


Don't forget that changing to a healthier lifestyle is all about learning and growing and adapting.  This isn't some overnight quick fix or fast weight loss program, this is a lifestyle change to a healthier, cancer free, heart attack proof future.  That's our goal, that's our aim, and that's where we will go.  There will certainly be ruts along the way.  We will all find ourselves stuck in a rut with boring recipes, but don't forget when you hit those ruts, take a look at how far you've come.  That's a big deal.  You may not be where you want to be, but with each rut, you're one rut closer to getting there!  :)  Keep up the good work!