Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kale and Avocado Salad

I am not a huge kale fan.  Or at least I haven't been.  This salad may well be the beginning of a change for me.

I know that kale is super healthy and one of those super foods that are just oh so good for you, but that bitter taste is so hard to get past!  Sometimes even throwing it into a smoothie or juice can't even mask that flavor.

Today I consider myself to be one of the luckiest girls around.  While shopping at the health food store I picked up a bunch of kale and was throwing it into a bag and a lady asked me what I do with my kale.  I told her juices, smoothies, but that I'd like to learn how to do something savory with it.  Well, this lady introduced me to a miraculous way of eating kale.  Apparently the trick to eating kale is all about loving it properly.  See kale likes to have a good massage...just like the rest of us, makes sense, right?!  So when making this salad the more you handle it and break those leaves the sweeter it becomes.  And boy, did it become sweet!

OK, so here is what you do:

Kale and Avocado Salad

1 bunch of kale
1 avocado
juice from one lime
garlic powder
dried onion flakes
cumin
salt
pepper

Take your kale and wash it, then break the leafy bits away from the stem.  It actually pulls away from the stem very easily.  Once it's all in the bowl get your hands in there and just start massaging it and tearing it apart.  Next add in your avocado-sliced, lime juice and your seasonings (and if you want, add in a little spinach) and then keep massaging it with your hands.  That avocado becomes like your salad dressing so mix it in there really well.  Then grab a fork and start eating and enjoy!  Hopefully you'll be just as shocked as I was about the flavor of this.