Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Can you guess who's vegan?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!  I hope you have had a fantastic day filled with family, friends, healthy food, and lots of laughter.  I know I sure did.  We went with good friends to HomeTown Buffet!  Yeah, that's right, I went to a buffet near LAX for Thanksgiving.  It was awesome!  And surprisingly a great selection of healthy food.  And I didn't overdo it.  I left feeling light and airy.  Aw, I love that!

And thanks be to these lovely holiday celebrations we're just going to have a light and fun post today.  I haven't had much time to sit down at the computer and write much out.  And since we've all spent the day stuffing our faces tomorrow is the perfect day to start sharing with you some of my weight loss secrets.  These are the lessons I have learned a long the way to take it off and keep it off.  (I'm sorry, did that just sound like a weight loss ad?)  You won't want to miss it!

But first let me just say that all this information here on this blog is just me sharing information with you that has helped me.  I am not saying by any means that it's wrong to have meat or dairy.  I'm just saying what I have found beneficial for myself.  I've spent a lot of years overeating the wrong things and feeling horrible afterwards.  The bloating, gas, cramps, fatigue, the extreme sugar highs and lows, it all got to the point that it was more then I could bear.  Going on a "diet" was too similar to my way of eating in my opinion so I knew that if I didn't shock my system I'd never make a change.

My husband and kids still eat meat and dairy.  We still buy dairy and bring it into the house.  I will have a pizza slice here or there (it always has been my favorite food and a real weakness.)  I keep it to a whole food, plant based diet 97% of the time.  But Friday nights are typically known as pizza nights in our house, and well, sometimes that smell is just too much for me.  :)

Right, so off we go into our light, fun, and airy post for the day:

How many of you have ever heard the word 'vegan' and immediately pictured a barefooted hippie running through the fields?  I know that for the better part of my life that is exactly what I pictured and wouldn't even give it a second though.  Thankfully there is a lot of information out there about whole food plant based diets and the benefits of them.  We are becoming much more educated as a population and our diet habits are no exception.  It seems like it should be something that would just make sense, "eat something that comes straight from the earth and hasn't gone through the process at a factory?  How do I know that it's not contaminated?"  It seems like that would be something that would be a no-brainer, and yet for most of my life I rarely thought this way.  I know it was healthy to eat veggies and fruit, I just didn't know HOW healthy until now.

Maybe it's the California sunshine and the LA lifestyle that makes me notice this more, but this way of life is becoming much more mainstream.  In fact many of you may know a 'vegan' and not even know it.  Here are a few prominent faces:



















Interesting huh?!  Who would have known?  And the list goes on and on.  In fact I found this website that is actually really informative.  http://vegan.ellen.warnerbros.com/  I know Ellen is one of those people that you either love her or you hate her, but she's got some great information on her website.