I've just discovered this new website for vegan recipes, and I love it!! It has links to so many different healthy recipes it's amazing! The most vegan recipes I've sen in one place, that's for sure. Each recipe even comes with at least one nice photo, usually more. And who doesn't love a good recipe with photos? I will definitely be visiting this site more often.
Here is the website:
Go there, check it out, and tell me which recipe jumped out at you. Here is one I just found that I wish I had found a little sooner, like last week. But we will totally be making these very soon, just maybe not in the Christmas tree shape.
Vegan Christmas Tree Pie (click here for the full how-to)
Adapted from Veganlovlie
For the pie crust:
all-purpose flour, 2 cups
canola oil, 4.5 tbsp
water, 5-6 tbsp (to form a soft, non-sticky dough)
For the filling:
cauliflower florets, thinly sliced, 2 cups
potatoes, cut into small cubes, 1 cup
(fresh/frozen) green peas, 1/2 cup
onion, 1 small, finely chopped
tomato, 1 small, finely chopped
garlic clove, 1 or 2, finely minced
turmeric, 1/4 tsp
salt, to taste (Note: Add a little less salt as the pie crust is already salted)
coriander powder, 1 tsp
red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp
olive oil, 2 tsp
soymilk with a pinch of turmeric, for glazing
To make the dough:
Mix oil into the flour and mix in with fingers until it look more like fine breadcrumbs. Then slowly add water, little by little and knead to form a smooth, non-sticky dough. Divide into 3 balls.
To make the filling:
1. Heat oil in a pan on a low-medium heat and add onions & garlic. Cook until translucent and raw smell goes away.
2. Add potatoes and cook them half-way through. Next add cauliflower. Mix in and cook until slightly tender.
3. Add peas. At any stage, don't add any water. The filling has to dry, so that you don't end up with soggy pies..
4. Add tomatoes. Stir and mix well.
5. Season with salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Cook for couple of more minutes.
6. Allow to cool the filling completely.
1. As per the photographs above, roll, cut and fill the pies.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F)
3. Place the pies on a greased baking sheet and brush with some (soymilk + turmeric) mixture.
4. Bake for 30-40 mins until light golden colour. Serve and enjoy..
Note: If you are feeling too lazy to make the pie crust, then use store-bought puff pastry, thaw and follow the same procedure.