Monday, February 20, 2012

my new aim

Today I went and did something that I have actually been looking forward to for a very long time.  I went and had a physical!  I know, that's a bit weird to look forward to a physical, right?  But I have never actually had one and I wanted to know what all my "levels" were looking like so off to the doctor I eagerly went.

After spending a length of time chatting with the doctor, a few vials of blood, and a urine sample, I'm feeling a renewed sense of direction.  (Isn't that amazing that peeing in a cup can give you a renewed sense of direction?  Hahaha!)  It's really nice to hear someone of the medical profession tell you that you are on the right track.  (I really can't tell you how refreshing that was for me!)

I know that I have come a long way from where I have been most of my life.  I'm happy with where I'm at now, but I know that losing a few more pounds of fat would be ideal.  I asked the doctor about the fat that is lingering around my middle section--that pudge just doesn't seem to budge--so he gave me a few pointers that I'm going to try out of the next few months and see how it goes.

Have any of you ever heard of HIIT?  (High Intensity Interval Training to be exact.)  This is my new aim, my new focus.  Basically what it is is this: while you are out for a run you jog for 5 minutes, sprint for 30 seconds, jog for 5 minutes, sprint for 30 seconds, etc.  You get the pattern right?  But it doesn't have to be sprints, you could use stairs or hills or something like that.  And it doesn't have to be that exact time pattern, you can do more or less.  The basic idea is to just do a baseline of something and then give it all you've got for a burst of time and then repeat that action a few times.  This can be done with any cardio program, biking, elliptical, running, dancing, whatever you want to do.

What's so great about it?  Well, supposedly this bumps up the metabolism even more and burns fat more effectively.  I have heard several people tell me about it but I have never actually tried it out for myself.  So this is my new goal.  I going to put some serious effort into this and see how it goes.  I'd really like to work on my midsection.  My abs.  My core.  I'd like to tighten and tone it up a bit more then it already is and just blast that dangerous fat off my middle, since we all know that is the most dangerous place to carry fat.

I'll keep you informed along my journey and plan to share with you great core exercises that I find.  I have been kind of stuck in a rut and am on the search for some great new routines so I'll share with you what I find.  Stay tuned!

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, as soon as I hear back about the "levels" of everything, I'll let you know.  Don't worry.  :)