Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How do you weigh in?

This has become a lot of fun for me.  But let's be honest weighing in can be the best or the worst part of anyone's day.  For a long time it was the worst part of the day for me.  In fact for many years I purposely didn't own a scale because I simply didn't want to know where I was.

As a teenager I heard talk shows and weight loss TV shows that said you shouldn't be concerned with what the scale says and I took that to heart.  For a long time my mom and I would weigh in weekly.  But then I'd just get frustrated because I didn't see any change at all (granted this was mixed with no change in my diet and only sporadic workout sessions.  I was in my teens!  I guess I was expecting major changes with no effort on my part).  So I stopped caring and stopped keeping track altogether.  I got rid of my scale and never looked back.  I didn't step on a scale again until I got pregnant with my kids and that was only when I'd visit the doctor for check-ups...and then it was only going up so dramatically that it was not what I wanted to see.  My weight went up and stayed up.  I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to.  And didn't think twice about it. 

I have now bought myself (or I should say my husband bought me for Christmas last year) a nice scale that has a few bells and whistles and I now weigh myself every morning before I step in the shower.  And I believe there is wisdom in stepping on the scale daily.  It really has helped me track my weight and know when and how to change things up as needed.  Now I've learned how my body feels when I am up or down a pound or two before I even step on the scale.  I just know how my body feels when I take good care of it.  Now I do.  Now that I've been tracking it and weighing in daily for over a year I have learned the difference.  Daily weigh ins can be a tool to help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.

So when should you weigh in?  Some people say you should do it first thing in the morning (this is what I do, and what I recommend) others say at night.  No matter when you decide to do it, make sure you do it at the same time each day and in the same amount of clothing.  The more consistent you are with this the more consistent your results will be.  Weight tends to fluctuate a lot through out the day with the intake of food and liquids.  So pick a time, stick to it, and don't step on in between.

Granted, I'm aware that daily weigh ins are not for everyone.  If it's too much for you, if you find it to frustrating, or if you find that you can really overdo it and become compulsive about it, don't do it.  You don't want this to become something that controls your life.  You want it to be something that improves your life.  If you feel this is too much for you, don't do it.  And that's OK. we are all in different places at different times.  I have just found this to be something that works for me. 

Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes, today went much better then yesterday.  I got a lot more accomplished and had a fantastic workout.  Aw, feels so much better.  :)