Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tofu Pesto Lasagna

Let me just start off this post by saying that I am not a food photographer.  I don't know how to make food look good.  But just trust me when I say that this tastes SO much better then it looks.  I promise!

This is actually a recipe that we loved before we made the switch to a plant strong diet.  One that we loved so much in fact that we decided we had find a way to make it fit with our new lifestyle.  So...tofu to the rescue!!  I had never really cooked with tofu, I didn't like the texture and could never make it work quite right with what I expected it to do.  But this works fantastically!  And cuts the fat content in half and makes the entire dish plant strong!  Awesome!!

And the beauty of it is, you can't even tell that it's tofu!  No, I'm not kidding, you really can't tell.  I've served this dish to guests who are very much meat eaters (vegan haters in fact) and they were shocked after they finished eating to discover that this was in fact a vegan meal.  And that made me happy.  It is that good.

Again, I'm really sorry about the photos!  I promise, it tastes so much better then these look.


Tofu Pesto Lasagna

12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 jar spaghetti sauce (there are a lot of vegan options from the jar, or you could make your own.)
1 jar pesto sauce (The jars do contain cheese, if this bothers you, you can make your own, here is a great recipe. 
1 12. oz package of silken tofu
10 oz. bag of fresh spinach.
1 bag rice cheese
Any assortment of veggies you want to add

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and then boil your lasagna noodles to al dente.  Mix together your tofu and pesto sauce.  And then start building your lasagna.  Start by doing a quick layer of red sauce, then lay down 3 noodles, then a layer of your tofu mix, then a few big handfuls of spinach, then some rice cheese, then some more red sauce.  Continue this pattern until you are all out of stuff then throw it in the oven for about 45 minutes.  As this cooks the smell will fill your home and it will make you so hungry!  I love cooking this because it just smells so good!

Like I said, you can add in any mix of veggies you'd like.  I've used several different combinations and it always turns out nice.  For some ideas, you can use: zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, yellow squash, egg plant, broccoli, carrots, celery.  Really whatever you'd like to throw in, it usually turns out great.  

To make it a complete meal, as it's cooking you can roast some asparagus (I like to use just a smidge of olive oil drizzled on top with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then just throw it in with the lasagna for the last 10-15 minutes) and then throw together a salad and you have a nice, comfort food, type of plant strong meal!  Awesome!!  Enjoy!