Friday, January 27, 2012

Some days you feel it...

Some days you don't.  And I'll be honest, there are a lot of days I don't.  It's a commitment to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  It's not easy.  Somedays I actually think about throwing in the towel and taking the easy road, but I know how it will make me feel inside so I don't.  Sometimes I walk down the candy isle and think about buying into the sweetness I see.  Sometimes I really hate having to make healthy food to snack on at home instead of just opening up a box and going to town.  Sometimes I get really annoyed that I can't just pull over to the nearest fast food joint and load up on grease.

But let me be clear, I only think about it.  I have lost the cravings for those foods.  I don't long for them the way I used to.  And it only takes a moment to remember everything I have learned and how far I've come and am reminded of the very reason why I made this commitment in the first place.  This is about improving my tomorrows.  This is about really living.  This is about feeling amazing so you can take on the world.

Taking the "easy road" is all about today.  That fleeting moment that comes and goes so quickly.  One of my parents favorite quotes that hung in our home when I was growing up was this, "Don't give up what you want most in life for something you think you want now."  That resonated with me then and I live by it today.  Anything in life worth having is worth working for.  That goes for everything from your diet, to your fitness, to your values and beliefs.

And don't you just feel good when you realize you just worked for and accomplished something great?  The sweat after a good workout, the aroma of a delicious healthy snack baking, seeing the number on your scale go down and feeling your arteries flowing better.  That is what this is all about.

Recently I have been feeling very frustrated and annoyed because I haven't been seeing as many results as I did in the beginning.  One day I stepped on the scale and saw 137.  That's just 2 lbs away from my "goal" weight that I set thinking I'd never see it.  My body has always beed a bit rounder and I've always weighed more than my friends so I figured I would never dip below 145, because that's just how it's always been.  So this is really exciting!  A real achievement that anyone could be happy over.  I'm thinner now then I have ever been.  Even my wedding ring doesn't fit anymore.  In fact, just the other day I almost lost it down the garbage disposal while doing dishes.  (Yikes!!  Maybe it's time to resize it?)

And that's just the outside.  Inside I am feeling healthier then I ever have!  Things work better, my energy levels are up, and I just feel like I could do anything!  I actually booked a physical today to get some actual numbers to share with you.  Unfortunately that's a month away though so stay tuned!  :)

"Don't give up what you want most in life for 
something you think you want now."