Monday, January 23, 2012

Banana Blueberry Muffins

These are seriously so yummy!  I discovered this recipe not long ago and it has fast become a family favorite.  The recipe doesn't make much, one muffin tray, so they disappear quickly in our home.  (Mostly by me.) :)  I made sure to buy extra bananas this week so I can make sure to double the recipe.

But the ingredients are all heart healthy, whole food, and plant based!  Hooray!  I love it when I find a recipe like this.  I have altered the original recipe slightly so my changes will be included in red.  I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

Banana Blueberry Muffins

3 ripe bananas
1/4 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/4 c. applesauce)
1/2 c. organic raw sugar (If you don't have raw sugar I've used regular sugar and it still tasted great.)
1/2 c. organic brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbl. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger (Sometimes I just use 1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice in place of the nutmeg and ginger.)
1 c. frozen blueberries (unless you have fresh!)

Mix it all together and bake at 360 degrees for about 17-20 minutes (depending on how your oven cooks.)  Let them stand for a just a minute and then ENJOY!!  They are seriously SO good!

That's the basic recipe for the banana blueberry muffins, but obviously you can embellish it however you'd like.  The recipe originally was just banana muffins but I added the blueberries and the rest is history.  These would be great with so many variations though. 

This photo is of the original recipe.  No blueberries added.  Still super good.  But I'm warning you, they will NOT last long.  They are that good!