Saturday, January 21, 2012

Extreme Dieting?!

As many of you readers know by now (or hopefully will discover very soon) this blog is really all about how to reverse poor health and prevent preventable diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and several others, including fibromyalgia (which I have been told I have.)  For many of us we have lived a life filled with years of making poor food choices.  Everything from fat, greasy, fried foods, to comfort foods, to baked goods, to foods high in sugar and everything in between.

We know the difference between good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.  We know that it's best to eat vegetables over a bag of chips.  We know that we should choose a piece of fruit instead of that delicious candy bar or bag of gummy treats, and yet it's so easy to turn a blind eye to the healthy stuff.

I have heard several people say that making the change to a plant based (vegan) diet is pretty extreme dieting.  Completely overhauling your diet and removing so many yummy things that you have enjoyed for years is extreme right?!  Is it extreme?  Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn says, "A western diet guarantees there will be half a million people who have to have the front half of their bodies divided, their heart exposed, then veins will be taken from their legs and sewn on their heart.  Some people would call that extreme."

I would certainly call that extreme.  And that is exactly what I would like to prevent.  I have a bad family history of all things poor health related and I would like to do what I can to prevent what I can.  Your health is within your control.  You choose what you want to have happen to you down the road.  It all comes down to the way you treat your body today.  Choose today to eat the heart healthy way.  Dr. Esselstyn says that eating the heart healthy way involves not eating anything that once had a mother or a face.  And that, dear friends, is the plant based diet.

Tonight I stumbled across this special report by Sanjay Gupta from CNN.  He did a report called,
The Last Heart Attack.  It's about 40 minutes long and fantastic!  I highly recommend you watch it.  In fact, I want you to watch it so much, you can just press play below.  Enjoy!