Monday, January 30, 2012

Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Tonight I fully intended to share some of the findings I've come across on the dangers of high fructose corn syrup, however I will take a slightly different course.  (But I will still get to the HFCS debate very soon because I do find it quite intriguing.) 

So this thing with sugar has really been in the forefront of my mind for months now.  You see, Fibromyalgia, (this thing that I have) seems to thrive on sugar.  Meaning it makes you completely miserable.  I friend of mine who has fibro much worse then me informed me early on to completely cut my sugar intake.  Knowing the way that I was feeling at the time, that was a no brainer for me.  If I wanted to feel better, cut the sugar.  So I did.  And what a world of difference it made for me.  I felt so much better.  Almost all of my complaints were gone.  GONE!!  (I cut the sugar before I started the whole food plant based diet, but this certainly catapulted me into it.)  I still find that amazing.  10 years ago, I would have laughed this off completely. 

So in all this reading and research I've been doing, a lot of the articles reference this lecture by Dr. Robert H. Lustig, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology.  And I got sucked into it tonight.  I planned on sharing with you a much different post tonight, but I just finished watching this entire lecture and want to shift gears, slightly.  He discusses what fructose does to your body and how it causes obesity.  I found it to be quite compelling.  "You are not what you eat, you are what you DO with what you eat."

The lecture is about an hour and a half long.  It gets a bit boring int he middle (unless of course you are an organic chemistry/biology person and can understand the science of it all really well).  But the last half hour I found the most interesting.  If nothing else, watch just the last half hour.  We'll discuss this in more detail tomorrow night.